QQI Level 5 Certificate in Computer Systems & Networks – 5M0536.
Train as a Computer Systems and Networks Administrator.
Achieve a solid foundation in hardware maintenance, systems software, computer networking, programming and scripting, database management, virtualisation, website design and web server hosting.
Ensure your progression opportunities with QQI Maths for IT – the latest alternative to leaving certificate maths.
Specialise in industry standard and trending technologies in an holistic approach across the course – with sought after employment skills in server operating systems, PHPMyAdmin and MySQL server administration, Python programming, Windows Server, and virtualisation with VMware and Oracle VirtualBox.
Common projects can include installing and configuring LAMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP/Python) servers as virtual machines, scripting system administration tasks in Python, maintenance and building of desktop computers, configuring and testing local area networks, managing network services and remote connections, managing system security, installing and deploying web servers, deploying a WordPress CMS, managing files and file transfer, managing SQL servers, installing and maintaining servers and software.
Practice and develop your skills in a dedicated computer science laboratory – using a range of technologies from wired to wifi and PC to Android.
Progress to MTU or UCC and beyond, ready with a solid year one foundation in relevant computer science and programming subjects.
|Award||QQI Level 5 Certificate in Computer Systems and Networks – 5M0536.|
|Format||Full-time. September 2023 to May 2024.|
|Location||Onsite at Mallow Campus.|
|Timetable||Hours between Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 15:30.|
|Requirements||No CAO required (Leaving Cert./LCA/equivalent for under 23s). Application review discussion.|
|Starting||Classes start the week of Monday the 11th of September 2023.|
|Fees||€300 (SUSI/BTEA €300, Medical Card €250, VTOS €0).|
|Applications||Applications open. Places available. No deposit required to start your application.|
- Corporate technical support sector. +
- Computer Maintenance Technician.+
- Database management. +
- Database/programming intern. +
- IT operations technicians. +
- IT user support technicians. +
- Networks and Computer Systems Administrator. +
- Systems Administrator. +
- Virtualisation support. +
- Web design. +
- Web hosting. +
- Computer Systems Hardware (5N0548) Level 5 QQI.
- Maths for Information Technology (5N18396) Level 5 QQI.
- Networking Essentials (5N2929) Level 5 QQI.
- Operating Systems (5N2928) Level 5 QQI.
- Programming and Design Principles (Python) (5N2927) Level 5 QQI.
- Virtualisation Support (5N2434) Level 5 QQI.
- Teamworking (5N1367) Level 5 QQI.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
Courses are continually developing – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an application review. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at application review.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. Candidates should ideally have a good Leaving Certificate maths grade at ordinary level or higher; or a proven aptitude for computer science and programming. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. The dates and duration will be specified by the College in September.
Advance to QQI level 6 IT awards. Use your full QQI award to progress to degrees in Computer Science, Computer Networking, IT Management, Business Information Systems, and Games Development. For more links and detailed information on how to use your Mallow College qualification go to mallowcampus.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €300
- Medical Card Holders: €250
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €300
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €300
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.