QQI Level 5 Horticulture – 5M2586
Do you have an interest in the art or practice of garden cultivation and management?
Horticulture is the study of the cultivation of crops and plants for aesthetic purposes such as gardening or for human consumption.
This programme has been designed to not only respond to the current labour market needs but it has also been designed in such a way that it will promote sustainability, and equip learners with a holistic set of knowledge and skills.
On completion of this qualification learners will be able to demonstrate skills, knowledge and competence on the following topics:
Plant Identification and Use
Soil Science and Growing Media
Safety and Health at Work
Start Your Own Business
The learner who successfully completes this programme will achieve the Level 5 Certificate in Horticulture 5M2586. The learner may then be eligible to apply to progress to the next or higher levels of the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) with a higher education provider.
|QQI Level 5 Horticulture – 5M2586
|Full-time September 2024 to May 2025.
|Onsite at Charleville Campus
|Hours between Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 15:30.
|No CAO required (Leaving Cert./LCA/equivalent for under 23s). Application review discussion.
|Classes start the week of Monday the 16th of September 2024.
|firstname.lastname@example.org or call 063-81422
|Applications open. Places available. No deposit required to start your application.
- Landscape Architect: Design and plan outdoor spaces, incorporating plants, hardscapes, and water features to create aesthetically pleasing and functional environments.
- Horticultural Technician: Assist in plant production, propagation, and care in various settings, including nurseries, gardens, and farms
- Commercial Grower: Manage and operate a commercial horticulture operation, overseeing the production and sale of fruits, vegetables, or ornamental plants.
- Farm Manager: Oversee the overall operation of a farm, ensuring efficient production, resource management, and profitability.
- Nursery Manager: Manage and oversee the production, sale, and marketing of plants in a nursery or garden center.
Growing Demand and Opportunities
The demand for horticultural professionals is expected to rise due to increasing population growth, expanding urbanization, and growing consumer interest in sustainable food production and healthy living spaces. This trend creates a favorable environment for individuals pursuing horticulture careers.
- 15Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an application review discussion. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- For entry to Level 6 a full QQI Level 5 Award in a complementary area is required.
- QQI Level 5 Horticulture
Garda Vetting is dependent on your work placement setting.
A two week block placement is an integral part of this course. The dates will be specified by the College.
For more links and detailed information on how to use your Charleville Campus qualification go to mallowcampus.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO