QQI Level 5 Certificate in Nursing Studies – 5M4349.
Achieve your career goal in nursing. Train with our dedicated team of fully qualified nurses in Mallow Campus’s newly renovated and equipped healthcare unit.
Prepare and develop the academic and practical skills necessary for your progression to your third level nursing or midwifery degree. Join Mallow Campus’s excellent record in career coaching, preparing our students to progress on via CAO and UCAS to universities in Ireland and UK, and across Europe.
Graduate from Mallow Campus as a fully qualified healthcare assistant, with work-experience, ready to work in any healthcare setting with essential certification in occupational first aid, patient handling and client moving.
Become the healthcare professional you want to be.
|Award||QQI Level 5 Certificate in Nursing Studies – 5M4349.|
|Format||Full-time. September 2023 to May 2024.|
|Location||Onsite at Mallow Campus.|
|Timetable||Hours between Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 15:30.|
|Requirements||No CAO required (Leaving Cert./LCA/equivalent for under 23s). Application review discussion.|
|Starting||Classes start the week of Monday the 11th of September 2023.|
|Fees||€350 (SUSI/BTEA €350, Medical Card €250, VTOS €0).|
|Applications||Applications open. Places available. No deposit required to start your application.|
- Carer. +
- Healthcare assistant. +
- Home help/personal care. +
- Nursing home/day care centre employee. +
- Special needs assistant. +
- Anatomy and Physiology (5N0749) Level 5 QQI.
- Understand the structure and function of the human body and the interrelationship between its systems.
- Care of the Older Person (5N2706) Level 5 QQI.
- Meet the full and holistic needs of older people in a variety of care contexts and to develop an awareness of the increasing needs of older people in the community today.
- Care Skills (5N2770) Level 5 QQI.
- Equip the learner with the skills, knowledge and competence to care for clients in a safe and hygienic environment.
- Care Support (5N0758) Level 5 QQI.
- Work effectively in a care setting. It aims to promote good practice and respect for diversity in lifestyle, religion and culture in care work.
- Human Growth and Development (5N1279) Level 5 QQI.
- Introduction to lifespan development encompassing the stages of development from birth to old age. This will assist learners in working in the field of social and community care settings. Prerequisite skills required for working with people with needs is also explored throughout this module.
- Infection Control and Prevention (5N3734) Level 5 QQI.
- Prevent and/or manage outbreaks of infection and to recognize their role in the prevention of infection in a health care setting.
- Nursing Theory and Practice (5N4325) Level 5 QQI.
- Theory underpinning nursing professional practice and the caring skills and attitudes necessary for the performance of a range of essential skills – temperature, pulse, blood pressure.
- Nutrition (5N2006) Level 5 QQI.
- Understand the nutritional composition of food and the effects of food and nutrition on a persons health and well-being. It also assists the learner to develop the academic and vocational language related to nutrition.
- Communications (5N0690) Level 5 QQI.
- Communicate verbally and non-verbally in standard everyday tasks and in work-related tasks, operating independently while under general direction.
- Work Experience (5N1356) Level 5 QQI.
- Participate in the workplace for a limited time, carrying out work-related tasks independently while under general direction. Prepare yourself for industry, prepare your CV (and online LinkedIn profile), practice interview skills, and gain invaluable experience on your own work placement.
- Optional: Mathematics (5N1833) Level 5 QQI.
- Apply a broad range of mathematical skills and tools to a wide variety of contexts, with some theoretical understanding.
Courses are continually developed – content and specific award components are subject to change. See disclaimer.
One year. Full-time. Class timetables to follow in September, and subject to change. See calendar for term holidays.
- CAO points not required.
- All applicants will be required to attend an application review discussion. An offer of a place on this course is contingent on the applicant meeting the minimum entry requirements set out here, and satisfactory presentation at interview.
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent. For mature applicants appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
- QQI Certificate in Nursing Studies, Level 5 – 5M4349.
- QQI Minor Award in Mathematics, Level 5 – 5N1833 (optional, offered for learners who may not meet progression requirements to higher education).
- Patient Handling, Client Moving Certificate.
This course requires participants to be Garda vetted. Continued participation on the course and work placement is dependent on the successful completion of this process.
Work experience is an integral part of this course. Students must complete one day per week placement along with block release of two weeks duration. The dates will be specified by the College in September. A total of 200 hours will be required. Each student is responsible for securing their own work placement.
Use your full QQI award to progress to degrees in Midwifery, General, Children’s, Intellectual Disability and Mental Health Nursing in Ireland and the UK. Advance to degrees in Social Care, Arts, and Health Sciences. Progress to the QQI level 6 advanced certificate in Supervisory Healthcare at Mallow Campus. For more links and detailed information on how to use your Mallow Campus qualification to progress go to mallowcampus.ie/progressions.
A full QQI award achieves a maximum of 390 points for CAO.
- Full Fees (EU/EEA Citizens): €350
- Medical Card Holders: €300
- Student Grant Recipients (SUSI): €500
- Back to Education Allowance (BTEA): €350
- Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS): €0
- €50 Deposit (refundable) per year.
- Retain Social Welfare benefits. Additional weekly allowances for meals, travel and childcare are also available.
Email us at email@example.com.